July 31st, 2017
Brand name Frisium tablets (DIN 02221799) are being discontinued in Canada. Please see Lundbeck's statement regarding the discontinuation here.
Lundbeck estimates that the remaining supply of Frisium for the Canadian market will be depleted by the end of 2018. This estimate is based current inventory levels and historical usage. The run out date is subject to change if there are unanticipated increases/decreases in demand.
With the advance notice, there is an opportunity to proactively discuss the situation with patients who are stabilized on brand name Frisium and decide when to switch from the branded product to a generic formulation. Patients, their families and healthcare
AUGUST 22, 2016
Status as of August 10, 2016:
- The sole manufacturer of vigabatrin is currently out-of-stock
- The major Canadian distributors we have contacted have either very low levels of inventory or have no
- Some pharmacies still have vigabatrin in inventory
- Lundbeck LLC posted a drug shortage notice on drugshortages.ca on August 9. The reason given for
the shortage is “Unexpected manufacturing delays”.
- Both the tablets and the powder formulation (sachets) are listed on the drugshortages.ca reporting
o 500 mg Sabril tablets, drug identification number 02065819, estimated resupply date: Sept. 1
o 500 mg Sabril powder, drug identification